Social-IST is an FP7 project funded by the European Commission (DG CONNECT) under the ‘ICT-Future and Emerging Technologies’ thematic area of the ‘Cooperation Programme’ with the main aim of catalysing interdisciplinary collaborations and organising consultations of multidisciplinary research communities on the theme of Social Collective Intelligence.
What is the Social Collective Intelligence?
The term is used to denote a class of socio-technical systems that combine, in a coordinated way, the strengths of humans and groups in terms of competences, knowledge and problem solving capabilities with the communication, computing and storage capabilities of advanced information and communication technologies.
- Enhance the creation of a new research community, composed of scientists from the ICT field and scientists from social sciences, able to formulate innovative approaches and paving the way for future EC-scale initiatives focused on interdisciplinary solutions for Social Collective Intelligence.
- Gather and classify the existing knowledge in the field of socially-aware and socially-enabled ICT systems and services, and expose to it researchers in all the relevant fields.
- Identify and perform an in-depth analysis of the most promising research avenues and the major research challenges ahead in the development of a science of Social Collective Intelligence.
- Derive recommendations on possible research topics for Future and Emerging Technologies (FET) calls in the next work programme, together with the provisioning of a roadmap for their integration.
- Assess their expected impact on science, technology and society, and more specifically on the evolution of the European ICT sector.
- A white paper, addressing the research community at large, identifying the potential of Social Collective Intelligence systems, able to combine the strengths of humans and technology.
- A roadmap for future FET initiatives targeting projects on Social Collective Intelligence, including the identification of research communities that could contribute to them and a description of the potential transformational impacts on science, technology and society.
- Raising awareness, at European scale, of the potential impact of advanced ICT systems leveraging, in an effective way, on the skills of people and on social dynamics.
|Funding Scheme||Support Action (SA)|
|Programme||7th Framework Programme (FP7) / Cooperation Specific Programme|
|Theme||Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)|
|Thematic area||Future and Emerging Technologies (FET)|
|Duration||12 months (Oct. 2012-Sept. 2013)|
|EC Project Officer||Christiane Wilzeck (DG CONNECT)|
|Coordinator||Daniele Miorandi, CREATE-NET (Italy)|
|Partnership||CREATE-NET (Italy), Sigma Orionis (France), University of Edinburgh (UK)|